Frequently Asked Questions

Filter by Topic

At the University of Arizona, we view online learning as equivalent to in-person classes in terms of educational quality and student outcomes. That is why all transcripts and diplomas are the same and do not differentiate between online and in-person teaching modalities.

You are not required to live on campus, but it is highly encouraged. For more information and to explore all of our dorms, please visit the Housing & Residential Life website. For off-campus housing options, please visit the Off-Campus Housing website.

View the Meal Plan FAQs.

There is a process to defer your admission to a future term. You can defer your admission up to one academic year. Deferring your admission maintains your Global Wildcat Award eligibility and your Enrollment Fee.

To defer your admission please follow these steps:

  1. Log into the Next Steps Center to pay the $450 Enrollment Fee. You'll need to click on the Path to Enrollment tile and progress through to the Secure Your Spot section. (skip this step if you’ve already paid your enrollment fee)
  2. Log into your Future Wildcat Portal
  3. Open your current term application
  4. Click on the tab Defer your Admission
  5. Scroll down and choose the Defer Main Campus Admission to a future term

Once you've completed the Deferral Request Form, please allow up to 10 business days to be readmitted. Once you've been readmitted, you can log back into the Next Steps Center to continue with the enrollment checklist items.

  • It depends. If you are applying for undergraduate admission and have completed 3 years of regular English classes with a "C" or better at an accredited American high school (domestic or abroad), you do not need to take the TOEFL.
  • If you have completed less than 3 years at an accredited American high school or were enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL)-level classes, you are still required to demonstrate English proficiency.
  • International Undergraduate Admissions may review the English proficiency requirement and make admission decisions based on the totality of the student’s application, including but not limited to high school academic performance, extracurricular activities, and/or other test scores.
  • If you are applying for graduate admission, proof of English proficiency is required for international applicants who hold citizenship from a country where English is not the official language.

Yes, a tuition payment plan is available. Please visit the Bursar’s website for more information.

You will be informed about your admission decision via email. The notification will be sent to the email address provided on your application on the day the admission decision is made. If you have a University of Arizona email account, notification will be sent to your Arizona email address.

You can pay the non-refundable application fee with a major credit card (VISA or Master Card) via the Future Wildcat portal. You can also pay by check or money order drawn on a U.S. banking affiliate, made payable to the University of Arizona.

Undergraduate students are automatically considered for the Global Wildcat Award when they complete an application to Main Campus. Once admitted, students can find additional scholarships using Scholarship Universe. The peak season to apply for scholarships is from November through April so complete your applications early.

Graduate students can click here learn more about funding opportunities.

You can change/add a college or major at any point in your undergraduate career at the University of Arizona. Please be aware that certain majors may require prerequisites.

A change of major before registration of classes is done through the Office of Admissions. Please send a letter or email stating the major that you have initially applied for and the new major you are requesting. The letter/email must have the spelling of your full name (spell FAMILY NAME in capital letters), date of birth, and student ID number if you have been admitted. 

Once you have registered for classes, to declare a major in a different college, you must first receive permission from the dean’s office of the college to which you wish to transfer. Change from one college to another is initiated by filing a change of college form with the new college.

To change majors within your current college, consult with the academic advisor for the new major regarding program requirements and the procedure to declare the major. There may be restrictions on the time of the semester for declaring a major or changing colleges.

Once you have changed your major, please contact International Student Services (ISS) to let them know of the changes so they can update your I-20.

  • You can check the status of your undergraduate application by signing into Future Wildcat. You can log in to Future Wildcat with the email and password you used to complete your application. You can expect an admission decision 2-4 weeks from the date that all of your application materials are received by the University of Arizona. Applicants with U.S. secondary or U.S. college/university transcripts may experience longer processing times.
  • You can check the status of your graduate admission application at any time by logging into GradApp. Once your application is in GradApp, no further action will be taken by the Graduate College until your department of interest makes a decision about your application.

Once you have been admitted, and obtained your Student ID number and PIN, you will create a NetID and password, and an email account. You will then gain access to your personalized checklist for enrollment, and can begin completing steps. After 48 hours, you must go to the Next Steps Center to complete your UA enrollment.

You are considered a first-year student if you will soon graduate high school, you have graduated, or you have a GED and have not enrolled in college since graduating or completed less than 12 college credits post high school. You are considered a transfer student if you have attended other colleges or universities, including community colleges, and have completed 12 or more transferable credits since graduating high school.

New degree-seeking students will be able to register during the New Student Orientation (one day after the Global Orientation). New non-degree seeking students can register for classes once enrollment opens. Check the Registration Calendar on the Registrar’s website for the dates. Students with ISC holds blocking enrollment should email for assistance.

You can find more information about how to request an I-20 or DS-2019 on the International Student Services New Students pages.

Unofficial Transcripts

Unofficial transcripts are sufficient for initial evaluation. At any time, you may be contacted to submit official/verified transcripts. To be considered for admission, simply upload your transcripts through the application. If you were not able to upload the transcripts in your application, you can log back in Future Wildcat to upload them. Or, you can email legible PDF copies of transcripts to

Official Transcripts

If you have attended any college or university within the United States or Internationally during or post-high school, official transcripts from each institution you have attended are required at the time of enrollment. Please request your official transcript be sent to

Please visit our Transcripts page for further information.

Find out how preferred name, sex, gender and pronoun information provided on the application for admission will be used.

You can make photocopies of the original credentials and have them certified by the authorized official at the institution that issues them or the Ministry of Education. These copies must bear the original signature of the authorized official and the colored institutional seal. We do not accept certification of a notary public.

Yes, students who complete IB exams may be eligible to obtain transferable credit for University of Arizona courses. For more details regarding transfer credits and IB scores, please visit our catalog.

With conditional admission, students must still provide the required proof of English proficiency to enroll in coursework at the University of Arizona. All conditionally admitted students have until the application deadline for the term of admission to submit proof of proficiency via test score. Students may also choose to attend the University of Arizona’s Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) to complete their English proficiency requirement. Students who choose this pathway earn three semesters (including the semester that conditional admissions was received for) to prove their proficiency while their academic admissions offer to UA remains valid. For more information about the programs offered through CESL and to apply, please visit:

Once you have achieved an admissible TOEFL or IELTS score, you must request the scores to be submitted to the University of Arizona through the testing center. The testing center will send your scores directly to the university once the center has verified your scores. This process could take a minimum of 3 weeks to complete. The University of Arizona ONLY accepts official, verified scores that are sent by the testing center. To ensure accuracy in processing your scores, please make sure your name on the test matches the name on your submitted application. If you have any questions about the status of your English proficiency test results, please email:

If you would like to cancel your admission to the University of Arizona and have not paid your enrollment fee, please complete and submit the Admissions Cancellation Form.

If you have already taken action with your enrollment fee, please visit the Next Steps Center to cancel your admission to the University of Arizona.

Please note: This is NOT a blanket cancellation. Appropriate cancellation forms must be sent to all university departments, i.e. Orientation, Admissions, Residence Life, etc. Please contact each department for details on their cancellation procedures and requirements.

Undergraduate Students: There are a few things you need to do to officially become an Arizona Wildcat at our main campus in Tucson, Arizona. All of your remaining action items, like paying your enrollment fee and signing up for orientation, can be found in your Next Steps Center.

Graduate Students: Follow these steps to accept your admission:

  • Login to GradApp.
  • Choose your application using the "List My Application(s)" link.
  • Accept your admission in the Next Steps box.
  • View/Download your Certificate of Admission, PIN, and informational Welcome letter.

Placement scores for math and english are valid for one year unless you were placed via your ACT/SAT score or transfer credits, then you will need to take the placement exam again. Second language scores never expire.

Housing Application Fee: Your housing application fee, if paid, will not be refunded. If you defer your admission, wish to live in on-campus housing you will have to pay your housing application fee again.

Rent Down Payment: If you have paid your rent down payment, that fee will be refunded.

Yes. Almost everything you need to complete your coursework and research is available digitally and online through UA Libraries. Please see the UA Libraries webpage for online and distance students.

Yes, if you were admitted to the SALT center you will be able to defer your SALT admission for up to two semesters. Your SALT Center application and application fee will be deferred. If you paid the SALT center enrollment fee, it will be refunded. You do not need to do anything else outside of submitting the Admissions deferment form to have your SALT Center Admission deferred to a future term.

The University of Arizona does not require students to submit SAT of ACT scores for admission. If you take one of these tests and have the score report sent to our office (School Code: 4832), your scores may enhance your chance for admission. Additionally, your score may be eligible for completing Proof of English proficiency.

Yes. The University of Arizona is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.

Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions as for information on how to receive an appeal packet, which could require information like:

Updated academic information.
New ACT/SAT test scores, if applicable.
New personal statement.
Letters of recommendation from academic sources.
Any other relevant documentation.

You may be eligible to receive a transfer I-20 for the University of Arizona. Submit an I-20 request in MyGlobal (under “Newly Admitted Students”) and enter your current school’s information to request a transfer of your SEVIS record.

No. It is recommended that students do not wait to apply since test scores are optional for admission.

General Education courses are offered in the first and second year of study and are common across multiple degrees. The university-wide general education program provides foundational knowledge and skills in support of the undergraduate degree programs and as preparation for life in a global society. The General Education curriculum helps students attain the fundamental skills that all college-educated adults must have, whatever their specific areas of study. You will find out more information about general education courses during orientation.

If the deferment deadline has passed for the term you were admitted, you must cancel your admission and submit a new admissions application.

  • Please review our Requirements by Country for the specific requirements and credentials that you must submit based on where you have completed your secondary education. If you have attended a post-secondary institution, you must also send the official transcript (mark sheet) for the courses you have completed and the grades you earned.

Send an email to with copies of your immigration documents showing your current status, such as an I-94 or I-797 Approval Notice, so we can review your eligibility to enroll. If you need to change to F-1 student status, please schedule an Admitted Student Appointment through the International Student Services Advising page.

For full-time enrollment on the Main Campus or in Global Direct Online, our estimate for books is $450 USD per semester for both undergraduate and graduate students.

Paying the enrollment fee and signing up for orientation in your Next Steps Center is how you secure your spot at the University of Arizona.

While there is no hard deadline for students to commit, deadlines to cancel your admission and request a refund of the enrollment fee are listed in your Next Steps Center. Additionally, orientation sessions fill up quickly, so we encourage you to complete these items as soon as possible. The deadline to be refunded the enrollment fee for spring is December 23 and the deadline for fall is July 15.

If you have already been admitted to the university, you can learn more about getting #WildcatReady by visiting the New Student Orientation website.

As the parent or family member of a University of Arizona student, you are a valued member of the Wildcat community, too. We encourage you to get involved through opportunities available through our Parent & Family Programs.

You will be responsible for tuition payments after you have registered for your classes. As a new student, you must make all payments before the first day of classes, otherwise a late fee will be added, or your classes will be dropped. For payment options and information, please visit the Bursar's Office. In order to view your balance or make a payment, you will need to be admitted, create a NetID and password, and log into UAccess. Please note: The enrollment fee and any housing application fees (if applicable) are separate costs and must be paid prior to registering for classes.

Applying early is important. The fall semester application is available starting August 1 and the spring semester application is available starting April 1 each year. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and the review process takes 2 to 4 weeks once an application is complete. Students who are admitted early have first access to their preferred orientation dates, the on-campus housing application, and our exclusive scholarship-matching service, Scholarship Universe.

You can find sample course plans under your selected major in the undergraduate course catalog. Keep in mind that these are sample plans, and your specific courses will vary based on course availability in your semester of enrollment. Graduate students can find additional academic information about their preferred program in the graduate catalog.

You can visit the Advising Resource Center at, and use the Directory to search for advisors by Major or College.

You can contact your assigned enrollment counselor for assistance.

International first-year, transfer, and non-degree seeking students who are admitted to any of the following campuses: main, Arizona online, distance and south. Reasons for deferment may include, but are not limited to: COVID-19, military, medical, faith based, financial. Re-admit students are not eligible for deferment and must apply again for the future term.