English Proficiency

International applicants whose primary language is not English, or who attended school in a non-English speaking country, regardless of citizenship, must prove English proficiency. To determine whether you need to submit proof of English proficiency, please review our country requirements database.

English Proficiency Requirements

Academic Coursework (Undergraduate Students Only)

Fulfillment of English ProficiencyMinimum for Most ProgramsMinimum for Selective Bachelor's Programs
IB (English A - Higher Level)5 or higher5 or higher (B.A. in Architecture, Engineering, Nursing, and B.A. in Law ONLY)
Cambridge IGCSE, O Level or HigherC or higher in English SubjectB.A. in Architecture, Engineering and B.A. in Law ONLY
Cambridge English Qualification (C1 Advanced, C2 Proficiency)180180
Completion of 4 years of regular English at an accredited American or IB High School*C or higherC or higher (B.A. in Architecture, Business, B.A. in Law, Engineering ONLY)
Completion of 3 years of schooling at a High School where medium of instruction is English*C or higherB.A. in Architecture, Engineering and B.A. in Law ONLY
Completion of ENGL 101 or 102 or 107 AND 108 (or equivalent course)C or higherC or higher (B.A. in Architecture, Engineering and B.A. in Law ONLY)

*Excludes English Language Learning (ELL) / English as a Second Language (ESL or ESOL) / English Language Acquisition (ELA) / English as a Foreign Language (EFL) / Limited English Proficiency (LEP) / English Language Development (ELD)

Please contact your enrollment counselor if you have questions regarding the use of academic coursework to satisfy your English proficiency requirements.


Test Scores

English Proficiency ExamsMinimumSelective Programs*Minimum for Graduate Programs**
TOEFL iBT / iBT Paper Edition / Home Edition / MyBest Scores707979
TOEFL Essentials7.58.59.5 (Masters programs only)
IELTS Academic / IELTS Online / IELTS Indicator / IELTS One Skill Retake6.06.57.0 (with no subject test below 6.0)
CEPT Full Academic Test100110110
Pearson English Language Test (PTE - Academic)535360
ACT English2121Not Accepted
SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing580 or higher580 or higherNot Accepted
Duolingo100105Not Accepted
iTEP Academic3.73.9Not Accepted

*Selective Bachelor's programs include B.A. in Architecture, Nursing, B.A. in Law, all Engineering and most Business programs (Economics excluded). **Individual Graduate Programs may require higher scores than the Graduate College. Please review the Graduate Programs Catalog for more information. The TOEFL Essentials test is not an accepted for proof of English Proficiency for doctoral programs.

Students who take an exam (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, SAT, ACT, Duolingo, iTEP) must have the testing center send the official score report directly to the University of Arizona. All test scores must be dated within 2 years from your submitted application to be considered valid.


CESL English Language Endorsement

Undergraduate Students

The Undergraduate University Track Pathway (U-Track Pathway) is the Center for English as a Second Language (CESL)’s English proficiency pathway program. It features a content-based curriculum specifically for students conditionally-admitted undergraduate students to the University of Arizona.

Students learn content similar to what they will encounter in their first year as undergraduate students and thereby improve their language abilities. They also enroll in a CESL-supported general education course for credit; this course will count toward any major at University of Arizona.

With CESL's English Language Endorsement, students in the U-Track Pathway can fulfill UA's minimum English language proficiency requirement without taking an additional TOEFL or IELTS exam.

Students are encouraged to enroll in the U-Track Pathway for 2 sessions (1 semester). CESL’s U-Track Pathway is available in-person on our main campus.

Graduate Students

CESL's Graduate University Track Pathway Program at the University of Arizona provides graduate-bound students with advanced-level English courses, which are specifically designed to prepare them for the rigors of graduate-level coursework. In addition to their ESL courses, students in the Graduate U-track Pathway sit in on a UA graduate course in their intended field of study (with department approval) and receive support from a CESL instructor.

Full-time students in the Graduate U-Track Pathway are also eligible to apply for CESL's Graduate English Endorsement, which is accepted by most UA graduate departments and UA Graduate College as fulfillment of the English language proficiency requirement in lieu of the TOEFL or IELTS exams. Endorsement is only available from University track. Endorsement is only offered in Fall 2, Spring 2, and Summer sessions. All Graduate U-Track students applying for endorsement must be in Level 9 (or complete 2 full sessions of the Graduate U-Track) and must pay a fee.